EXPERIENCE- DISCOVERING PIANOSA ISLAND
Sightseeing, Nature excursion, Swimming, Meal included
A unique and unforgettable experience on the picturesque island of Pianosa, also known as Devil's Island as it housed a maximum security prison until a few years ago. There is a daily ferry service from Marina di Campo which is restricted to a very limited number of tourists.
What we will see
- Pianosa Island
- Teglia Prison and Fort
- Agrippa Postumus Baths
- Cala Giovanna
What we will do
- The excursion takes us to one of the most picturesque islands in the entire Tuscan archipelago: Pianosa. Once the site of a maximum security prison, it has recently been transformed into a stunning national park.
- After so many years of seclusion and isolation, Pianosa Island has opened its doors to a very restricted number of visitors, after the closure of the famous prison. Accessible areas are still somewhat limited and include the areas around the port and the town centre, all of which can only be accessed with the assistance of a professional guide.
- We will be greeted by the unusual style of the port of Pianosa. It owes its elegant architectural structure, which still amazes visitors today, to Ponticelli, who was the prison's second governor for over twenty years. Fort Teglia is also a beautiful sight. Napoleon Bonaparte ordered the construction of this fortified complex according to Ponticelli's designs.
- A walk along the beach takes us to the back of the ruins of the Agrippa Postumus Baths, a partially preserved Roman villa to which Augustus' nephew was exiled and later put to death, enabling Tiberius to take control.
- As is the case with all hidden treasures, access to Pianosa is anything but simple. We will travel from Portoferraio to Marina di Campo, the departure point for the ferry that takes visitors over to the island on a daily basis.
- We will have lunch at the only self-service bar/restaurant on the island and then we will have some free time to swim in the crystal-clear waters by the beach at Cala Giovanna, one of the most beautiful beaches on the island and the only place where swimming is permitted.
- At the end of the day, the ferry will take us back to Marina di Campo where our coach will be waiting for us to take us back to Portoferraio.
What you need to know
- We recommend that you book early because only a limited number of places are available.
- Comfortable shoes are recommended.