BONIFACIO: AN UNFORGETTABLE EXCURSION
Sightseeing, Cultural, Lunch not included
An unmissable excursion to discover Corsica's main attraction, the stunning city of Bonifacio, with its perched mediaeval town, busy marina and dazzling white cliffs overlooking a crystal clear sea.
What we will see
- Roccapina inlet: Granite lion and Genoese tower
- Bonifacio: Ruins of three mills and Church of Saint-Dominique
- Old citadel, Chapel of Saint-Jean-Baptiste and Church of Sainte-Marie-Majeure
- Market square and view of the cliffs
What we will do
- We will leave Propriano in the coach and head south, passing through a landscape of arid hills set against the blue background of the sea. Before reaching Bonifacio, situated at the southern end of the island, we will stop en route at Roccapina inlet, where we can admire the stunning views of the so-called granite lion, which guards the Genoese Tower.
- We will then come to Bonifacio, the real highlight of this area, situated on top of a narrow peninsula of dazzling limestone rocks: a city unlike any other on this island.
- Here we will board a small train for a scenic journey along which we will see the ruins of three mills and the Church of Saint-Dominique, built between 1270 and 1343 by the Dominicans. The church's bell tower has a square base followed by an octagonal section and is topped by a crenellated spire. During our trip we will also have breathtaking views of nearby Sardinia.
- We will then continue our visit to Bonifacio on foot, starting from the old citadel, where we will find the Chapel of St John the Baptist and the beautiful Church of St Mary, with its bell tower dating back to the 14th century.
- Continuing our tour of the picturesque old town we will come to the market square, where we will be rewarded by the breathtaking view of the 70 metre high limestone cliffs. If we like we can walk down the 100 steps that lead to the marina, or alternatively reach the same destination on the train.
- Before returning we will have around half an hour free to wander among the elegant boutiques or to sit and relax in a café, savouring the special atmosphere of this place.
What you need to know
- The tour includes an optional 1 hour walk.
- The route from Propriano goes through mountain roads with hairpin bends.
- We recommend that you book early because only a limited number of places are available.