PREMIUM EXPERIENCE: FROM RAVELLO'S VILLA CIMBRONE TO TIMELESS POSITANO
Sightseeing, Cultural, Meal included
Ravello with its evocative Villa Cimbrone and Positano with its thousand-year history: the pearls of the Amalfi Coast make this excursion truly magical.
What we will see
- Ravello, Villa Cimbrone with its gardens,
- Positano, historic centre, shopping
What we will do
- We set off for Ravello, one of the pearls of the Amalfi Coast where we will discover the evocative Villa Cimbrone. In the summer of 1835 the villa's luxuriant gardens were described by the German traveller Gregorovius as being of "incomparable" beauty, "... between the roses and the oleanders on a plateau from where the view stretches as far as the sea." The gardens have remote origins that merge with the history of Ravello itself. They are decorated with statues, small temples, inscriptions, fountains, natural caves and artistically created ravines. From the Terrace of Infinity, we can admire the splendour of what the writer Gore Vidal called "the most beautiful panorama in the world".
- At the end of our visit to this beautiful villa, a delicious lunch awaits us at a local restaurant.
- We then set off for Positano, a pearl of the Amalfi Coast and one of the most famous and spectacular tourist destinations in Italy. Positano's origins are lost in the mists of time where history and legend are interwoven: according to legend Positano was founded by Poseidon, the god of the sea, as an expression of his love for the nymph Pasitea.
- We visit this characteristic town on foot in order to enjoy all the beauty of its labyrinth of little streets that interweave in a curious succession of white cottages, archways, domes, loggias and staircases carved in the rock.
- We then have some free time to shop at the many colourful local craftsmen's shops, were we will find a great variety of typical fabrics and original pieces. The Nineteen Sixties saw the birth of the famous "Positano fashion": in order to satisfy requests from the wealthy and demanding clientèle of the time for fresh, light clothing to wear at the sea, locals reinvented themselves as tailors, using scarves, linen towels and even brides' trousseaux to create sarongs, Bermudas, shorts, swimming costumes and evening dresses ideal for wearing at the magnificent golden bay of Positano.
What you need to know
- Places on this excursion are limited. We recommend booking early.