EXPERIENCE TOUR – HIKING IN THE TSINGY ROUGE PARK
Nature excursion, Packed lunch
A magical adventure in a truly unique location, where nature offers one of its most evocative spectacles: Tsingy Rouge Park. We'll hike in the canyon and admire the intense red of the rocks, then go back towards Diego Suarez where a city tour awaits us.
What we will see
- Hinterland of Madagascar: traditional villages, Montagne des Français, Amber Mountain
- Tsingy Rouge Park
- Diego Suarez
What we will do
- Leaving the port in our jeeps, we head south on the RN6 motorway.
- On our journey we can admire** a succession of landscapes that introduce us to the hinterland of Madagascar**: magnificent views, small traditional villages with houses on stilts, rice fields and rivers, the Montagne des Français, rich in vegetation and majestic baobabs, and Amber Mountain with its volcanic craters and cones.
- Leaving the tarmacked road, we drive along an adventurous dirt track for around 40 km. Through spectacular panoramas, we arrive at the Tsingy Rouge Park.
- Literally needles in the Madagascan language, tsingys are basaltic formations with a red colour and a pointed needle shape, sculpted by the wind and rain along the Irodo River, which form a veritable forest of spires.
- We descend into the canyon on foot, immersed in a lunar landscape where time appears to have stood still. The colour contrast between the red of the rocks and the emerald green of the surrounding vegetation will take our breath away, and we'll admire the ephemeral drapery of the tsingys, as beautiful as they are fragile, with near reverence.
- At the end of our hike we hit the road for our return journey, stopping in Diego Suarez, now called Antsiranana and also known as the Pearl of the North, to visit the city before returning to the ship.
What you need to know
- Transport and facilities in Madagascar are not necessarily of the standard usually found in developed countries.
- This tour does not feature guides on each jeep but some local guides will assist groups providing information during the main stops.?
- Given the large number of vehicles used, we cannot guarantee that a member of the ship’s crew will be on hand to assist with communication.
- The journey on tarmacked roads lasts around 1 hour and 30 minutes.
- Do not forget to bring your sunglasses, sun cream and insect repellent.
- We recommend wearing comfortable shoes with an non-slip sole for the trek.
- This excursion is not recommended for guests with mobility problems.
- The excursion includes riding in jeeps on local roads and tracks that are unpaved and bumpy.
- The capacity for the jeeps is for 4 to 5 people. We cannot guarantee that families or groups
- of friends will be able to travel together in the same jeep.
- Toilets will be of local standards.