WALKING TOUR OF PORTO
A walking tour exploring Porto, the "Granite City", and its maze of streets, during which we admire historic buildings, such as the Clérigos Tower, and modern structures, the railway station for example, with its amazing terrace. The tour ends with a panoramic view of the river Douro.
What we will see
- Porto city centre
- Clérigos Tower
- Livraria Lello
- Aliados Avenue and Bolhao market
- Santa Catarina Street
- São Bento Railway station
- Ribeira district with views of the River Douro
What we will do
- This excursion will take us into the heart of Porto, which is not only Portugal's second city and second most important port, but also the country's university and industrial centre and an Episcopal seat. Porto is also known as the "Granite City" as the material was used for a lot of its majestic and elegant buildings, creating a contrast between the city and its lush green surroundings.
- Our coach will take us to Cordoaria, from where we make our way into the maze of streets in the city centre. During our walk, we will see the Clérigos Tower designed by architect Nicolau Nasoni one of the tallest buildings in Portugal.
- We then head to the Livraria Lello, which is considered one of the world's most beautiful bookshops thanks to its amazing Neo-Gothic façade.
- After crossing Aliados Avenue, we reach the Bolhao market, which is housed in an iron-framed structure that dates to the 19th century. The market has three main areas - meat and fish, flowers and fresh produce.
- Once we leave the market, we stroll along Santa Catarina Street, one of the city's main streets, where we can spend a little free time.
- We then visit the São Bento railway station. One of the most imposing buildings of the city, it is known for its azulejos (decorative hand-painted tiles), which were designed by Jorge Colaço to depict two important subjects - the history of transportation and the Battle of Aljubarrota.
- Back on our coach, we leave for the Ribeira, where we will have some more free time to admire the fantastic views of the river Douro, with its bridges and typical Rabelo boats.
What you need to know
- The excursion includes a walk of around 1 km on both flat and sloping streets.
- This excursion is not recommended for guests with mobility problems and pregnant women.