BARCINO, THE HIDDEN ROMAN CITY
We will travel back through time and discover the remains of the ancient Roman colony of Barcino, the original heart of what is now Barcelona. Traces of its legacy still remain today in the succession of buildings and architectural structures.
What we will see
- Gothic Quarter
- Plaça Nova
- Via Laietana
- Barcelona History Museum
- Plaça del Rei underground complex
What we will do
- Accompanied by our guide, we will begin our walking tour of what remains of Barcino, the Roman town that was the foundation for modern-day Barcelona. As we stroll through the city, traces of this settlement will take us back in time to over two thousand years ago.
- We will venture into the labyrinth of streets that is the Barrio Gótico or Gothic Quarter. This district was the heart of political and religious life in the Middle Ages and, even today, its layout is still faithful to the classic Roman Cardo and Decumanus grid structure.
- In Plaça Nova, traces of the Roman settlement abound in a string of architectural delights. We can still see the two semi-circular towers that flanked the gateway to the Decumanus road, as well as sections of the city's defence walls and the arch of an aqueduct.
- Amidst temple columns and the remains of walls that peep up every now and then, almost casually incorporated into more modern buildings, we will walk along Via Laietana, which takes its name from the first Iberian population to settle in this region. Built in the early 20th century, it has retained the architectural heritage of the Roman walls.
- A must on our tour of the Roman remains is the Barcelona History Museum, known as MUHBA, which has preserved and exhibits Barcelona's rich historical heritage, from its Roman origins to the modern day.
- The highlight of the tour is the Plaça del Rei underground complex where we can admire the remains of an entire district of the Roman city of Barcino, which spans over 4,000 square metres with its narrow passageways.
What you need to know
- Places on this excursion are limited. We recommend booking early to avoid disappointment.