009E_COMFORT PETRA: THE PINK CITY, AMIDST MAGIC AND FLAVOURS
Cultural, Meal included
An excursion to discover the city carved out of pink rock, with a journey into the depths of a narrow canyon almost 100 metres high. The excursion takes us from the magic of the dazzling "Treasury" to the typical flavours of the area.
What we will see
- The Siq
- The Treasury of Petra
- Roman temples and tombs
- Roman amphitheatre
What we will do
- We depart from Aqaba and head towards Petra, the "rose-red city half as old as time". Petra remained unknown for centuries, hidden between the mountains of southern Jordan. Founded by the Nabataeans, a Bedouin Arab tribe, which arrived from Arabia 2,000 years ago, the fortress-city of Petra became an important stronghold, protecting the many passing caravans.
- The city only became famous in 1812, when it was discovered by a young Swiss explorer and revealed to the world. Subsequently it became a film set for the film, "Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade" by Steven Spielberg.
- After leaving the coach, we walk towards the entrance to the "Siq", the bed of a narrow serpentine river which winds through the gorge for approximately two and a half kilometres.
- Imposing rock faces soar up to a hundred metres on both sides. Out of the darkness emerges the sparkle of the The Treasury hewn into the rock, forty metres high and thirty metres wide.
- In addition to the Treasury, we visit the magnificent temples, royal tombs, the amphitheatre and the burial chambers built by the Romans who took control of the city in 106 AD, and which represent an addition to the already existing Nabataean tombs and monuments, creating a city sculpted from rock.
- At the end of the visit, we take the same route back to the tourist centre and the car park where the coaches are waiting for us and where we also find the restaurant in which we will have lunch and sample some local specialities.
- Before heading back, we have some free time to buy souvenirs near to the site.
What you need to know
- The coach transfer from Aqaba to Petra takes approximately 2 hours.
- The excursion includes a walk which takes approximately 45 minutes from the coach park to the site. We return on foot to the car park, taking the same route.
- The site visit includes a walking tour which lasts approximately 2 hours and 30 minutes.
- Comfortable shoes and sportswear are recommended.
- We recommend that you bring a bottle of water with you.
- This excursion is not recommended for guests with mobility problems.
- Places on this excursion are limited. We recommend booking early to avoid disappointment.
- No food or drinks are allowed on the site.