THE GREEN GROTTO AND DUNN'S RIVER FALLS
Sightseeing, Nature excursion
An excursion to explore some of Jamaica's most beautiful landscapes, with caves and waterfalls where we can see the power of nature in its various forms.
What we will see
- Green Grotto, landscape and caves with stalagmites and stalactites, wishing well
- Dunn's River Falls, massage parlour
What we will do
- We leave the port of Ochos Rios by coach and after a 45 minute journey during which we can admire the beautiful panorama of Jamaica's northern coast, we arrive at the Green Grotto. This grotto, which is a major attraction in Jamaica, is well known for its green walls that are covered with algae and for its shimmering lake.
- The caves are at about 2.5 km from the spot where Christopher Columbus landed in 1494. They were used as a hiding place during the English occupation of the island in 1655 and it is said that in the 18th century they were a place of refuge for runaway slaves. The caves were open to visitors for the first time in 1959.
- During the tour which lasts about an hour, a guide will accompany us on an adventurous walk to discover the grotto's hidden beauty through a series of interconnected pathways and alcoves stalagmites and stalactites.
- On our way out of the caves, we stop at the so-called wishing well, where we can toss a coin for luck and for love, and hope that all our dreams come true.
- We then board our coach again and after about 30 minutes we arrive at Dunn's River Falls, the perfect place to relax and have fun. Led by our expert local guides we climb up the river falls joined in a human chain.
- Next we stop at the so-called massage parlour to experience the soothing effect of the cascading water as it plunges into the crystal clear Caribbean Sea. The less daring ones can look on from a safe place where they can enjoy the panoramic view.
- At the end of the tour we board our coach again to return to the ship.
What you need to know
- Minimum age: 4 years.
- This excursion is not recommended for guests with mobility problems.
- We recommend you wear rubber shoes (also available for hire) for climbing up the waterfalls and that you bring insect repellent, a change of clothing, a towel, sunglasses and sun cream.
- Lockers can be rented on-site (rental is not included in the price of the excursion).