FREE TIME IN FLORENCE
Sightseeing, Shopping, Packed lunch
A visit that leaves you free to savour the magnificence of Florence, capital of Tuscany and a symbol of Italian artistic heritage throughout the world.
What we will see
- Piazza Duomo, church of Santa Maria del Fiore, Baptistry of Saint John, Giotto's Bell Tower
- Piazza della Signoria
- Ponte Vecchio
- Piazza Santa Croce and Basilica
- Shopping and local cuisine
What we will do
- Our coach leaves the port of La Spezia for Florence, a city that became the capital of the Grand Duchy of Tuscany under the rule of the Medici family, establishing itself as a driving economic power with groundbreaking artistic, cultural and political developments.
- Our excursion includes free time to visit the many art treasures of inestimable value in the city.
- We'll be able to explore the centre of Florence on foot, including the marvellous Piazza del Duomo, the heart of the city. We cannot fail to be impressed by the beauty of the imposing works of art that surround us in a wealth of red, white and dark green marble. It is here that we find the most important complex of religious buildings in the city: the Baptistry of Saint John, with its three magnificent, bronze doors by Pisano and Ghiberti, and the Cathedral of Santa Maria del Fiore - with its enormous dome by Brunelleschi - and the bell tower designed by Giotto, two of the finest examples of 13th century Florentine Gothic architecture.
- We cannot pass up the chance for a walk around Piazza della Signoria, the historic, political and civil hub of Florence.
- We can then head for the evocative Ponte Vecchio, the only historic bridge in Florence to have survived destruction by the Germans during the Second World War and the flood of 1966.
- We next head for Piazza Santa Croce, where we can admire the Basilica of the same name with its beautiful façade in coloured Carrara marble.
- Of course, before returning to the ship, we can also take the opportunity to shop for Italian-made goods or sample typical Tuscan cuisine at one of the centre's many restaurants.
What you need to know
- This tour includes a basket lunch prepared by our ship staff.
- The coach journey to Florence takes approximately 2 hours and 30 minutes each way.
- This excursion does not include a guide. A local escort will be present during journeys to and from Florence.?