DISCOVERING KEY WEST AND HEMINGWAY’S HOUSE
We admire the island of Key West from the windows of a picturesque bus driving by the main sights: historic city centre, Historic Seaport, Southernmost Point and Hemingway house-museum, where we will stop for a visit.
What we will see
- Sightseeing tour of Key West
- Historic city centre of Key West
- Historic Seaport
- Southernmost Point
- Visit of the Ernest Hemingway house-museum
What we will do
- Comfortably seated on our picturesque bus, we explore Key West, the most famous, populated and touristy of the roughly 1,700 islands which form the Florida Keys.
- We drive through the historic centre of Key West, the largest settlement on the island with fascinating picturesque architecture made up of old wooden houses that survived the urban transformations of the past few decades.
- We admire the lively Historic Seaport, still very much active as a stopover and characterised by a cheerful atmosphere with shops, restaurants and live music.
- We continue towards Southernmost Point, one of the most photographed parts of Key West: here, there is a colourful concrete pylon that marks the southernmost tip of the continental United States.
- Once at the Ernest Hemingway house-museum, we get off our coach and visit this iconic location.
- We find ourselves in front of a lovely colonial building with a white façade and yellow shutters surrounded by a porch and tropical garden. The author lived here between 1928 and 1940 with his second wife Pauline and the museum displays many interesting objects from his long career as a writer.
- We visit the rooms where much of the furniture has remained practically unchanged and admire the collection of amazing lighting fixtures (a passion of Hemingway’s wife), including one made of Murano glass, and let ourselves be charmed by the original atmosphere of the place, which is still home to some peculiar inhabitants: the famous six-toed cats descendants of the original one owned by the author.
What you need to know
- This excursion involves a walking tour of Hemingway’s house (approx. 1 hour).