VISIT THE FABULOUS MAYAN SITE OF CHACCHOBÉN AND RELAX ON THE BEACH
Swimming, Cultural, Shopping, Drink included
Travel, relaxation, culture and fun: this excursion has all the right ingredients for an unforgettable day! We visit the extraordinary archaeological site of Chacchobén, deep in the tropical jungle, and we relax on a fantastic beach that is equipped with all comforts.
What we will see
- Mayan archaeological site of Chacchobén
- "Gran Basamento" and two sacred temples
- Uvero Beach Club
- Light Mexican Snack and open bar
- Relax on the beach
What we will do
- Our guide welcomes us at the pier and accompanies us to our air-conditioned coach nearby.
- We pass through Mahahual, a picturesque fishing village that still maintains its typical Mexican atmosphere, and we learn something about local life and culture.
- When we arrive at Chacchobén, which means "place of the red corn" in the Mayan language, we explore the impressive ruins together with our expert guide to discover interesting facts about the temples and other buildings that have only recently been brought to light.
- We go round a circular path to see the three pyramids of the site which is still partially unexplored, and we climb up the steps of the Gran Basamento, which was probably the centre of public and ceremonial activities of the ancient Mayan community.
- From the top of this pyramid there is a breathtaking view of the rainforest that surrounds the ruins, with palm trees, wild orchids and a variety of other tropical plants, home to several species of singing birds, toucans, monkeys and armadillos.
- At the end of the guided tour we have a little free time to browse in the souvenir shop.
- Our next stop is the Uvero Beach Club, a beach club set in a picture postcard beach.
- A light Mexican snack and an open bar await us here to top up our energy reserves after the tour of the ruins.
- There are plenty of activities we can indulge in on the beach: sunbathe, relax on a hammock, swim in the crystal clear sea or practice some aquatic sports (to be charged separately). And we can even have a henna tattoo made or a cute little braid to remember the day by!
- At the end of the day's activities we return to the ship.
What you need to know
- Local guides conduct the excursion in English or Spanish.
- Participants are advised to wear comfortable clothing and shoes and to bring insect repellent and sunglasses.
- This excursion involves long walks on uneven terrain and a route which includes stairs to move up levels.
- The coach transfer from the ship to the archaeological site takes approximately 1 hour.
- Access to the site with professional photographic equipment (tripods and professional cameras) is not allowed.
- To use your camera within the archaeological site it is necessary to pay a tax (approx. 5-10 U$D) at the entrance.
- Activities and establishments available at Uvero Beach Club: beach volleyball, football field, deckchairs, entertainment/guided activities, kayaking, water floats and beach games for children.