WATCHING DOLPHINS AND SEA LIONS
This tour is dedicated to animal lovers. A boat trip in the Golfo Nuevo, off Puerto Madryn, to watch dolphins and a colony of young sea lions in their natural habitat.
What we will see
- Boat excursion, Golfo Nuevo
- Dolphin watching
- Punta Loma Natural Reserve, sea lion sanctuary
What we will do
- After a short walk from our ship, we board a boat for an excursion out at sea. We ride the waves of Golfo Nuevo, one of the best natural ports in the world. With a maximum depth of 180 metres, this gulf is a breeding ground for southern right whales, that come here year after year to mate. In these waters we can even sight several dolphins that live along the Patagonian coast.
- The boat tour proceeds towards the Punta Loma natural reserve, that was set up in 1966, about fifteen kilometres from Puerto Madryn. Here we can sight guanay cormorants and South American terns and there is the only permanent colony of south American sea lions, which are, perhaps, the archetypal sea lion. Indeed, males have a very large head with a well-developed mane, making them the most lionesque of the eared seals. Young sea lions that are not yet sexually mature can be sighted along this coast all year round.
What you need to know
- We recommend that you book early because only a limited number of places are available.