EXPERIENCE: INFLATABLE BOAT EXCURSION TO THE FAMOUS SALTSTRAUMEN MÄLSTRÖM
Sightseeing, Nature excursion
An unmissable thrilling inflatable boat excursion to observe a truly unique natural phenomenon: the Saltstraumen vortex (“mälström”), considered the largest in the world. A spectacular sight just waiting to be photographed!
What we will see
- Guided tour near Bodø, inflatable boat excursion to Saltstraumen to admire the mälström
- Saltstraumen visitor centre
What we will do
- We start our excursion and get divided into two groups: the first reaches Saltstraumen Strait by coach after a guided tour near Bodø, while the other gets on a rigid inflatable boat for an excursion in a natural setting of rare beauty. We then meet up near the Saltstraumen Visitor Centre where we switch.
- Of course, before boarding the boat, we are provided all the equipment necessary (thermal suit, life vest, helmet, gloves and safety glasses), detailed safety instructions and a few information on the thrilling adventure that awaits us.
- Once at the Saltstraumen Strait, we admire a truly unique natural phenomenon: the mälström, i.e. a sudden strong water vortex that forms in this area and even manages to suck down ships. Due to the tides, every 6 hours, four times a day, over 400 million cubic metres of water flow through a passage that is 150 metres wide, 3 km long and 25 metres deep generating currents that reach a maximum speed of around 15 knots. The powerful whirlpool can reach a diameter of 10 metres and be 5 metres deep.
What you need to know
- This excursion includes an English or German speaking guide on the boat.
- The boat transfer takes approximately 1 hour and 30 minutes.
- Capacity per boat: 12.
- It is recommend you wear warm clothing and suitable shoes.
- All participants are provided with suit, safety glasses, gloves and helmet.
- This excursion is not recommended for guests who suffer from sea sickness or those with mobility, back or heart problems.
- The Saltstraumen vortex may not be reachable at the peak of the tide.
- We are bound by the timetable set by the local operator, which is communicated to the ship the day prior to the excursion depending on the different language options required. As such, we are unable to make changes to the excursion timetable.