PREMIUM TOUR: PALACE OF KNOSSOS AND AROLITHOS VILLAGE
The cradle of Minoan civilization, Crete will surprise us with its archaeological patrimony as we embark on an awe-inspiring trip, reliving the myth of Minos at the Palace of Knossos before diving into Cretan culture in a traditional village where time seems to stand still.
What we will see
- Palace of Knossos
- Arolithos and Museum of agricultural history and popular art
What we will do
- We will leave the port of Heraklion by coach to head for our first destination: the Palace of Knossos.
- Situated on the top of a hill, from which we enjoy a breathtaking view of the place where the city once stood, the palace is an important testament to a civilization dating back to 3000 BC. Brought to light thanks to excavations by Sir Arthur Evans, the palace is one of Greece's most important archaeological sites. We will visit the throne room, the storerooms, the central court and the imposing stairway, reliving the myth of Minos. It is believed that the palace is linked to the myth of the labyrinth and the Minotaur due to the number of rooms it possessed (probably more than 1000 originally).
- Still impressed by the historic and architectonic wonders of the Palace of Knossos, we re-board the coach and ready ourselves for some Cretan culture in the characteristic village of Arolithos. Reconstructed using the same techniques that were used in the past, this village will charm is with its otherworldly atmosphere. We will walk along the pebbled streets, home to traditional crafts shops where the artisans produce ceramics and inlaid wooden articles. We are struck by the scent of bread as we pass in front of the traditional bakery and are enchanted by the small village church and the traditional "Cafenion" café. Before returning to the port, we will retrace the history of Cretan culture by visiting the Museum of agricultural history and popular art.
What you need to know
- PREMIUM TOUR: dedicated to tourists who have a preference for high quality tours for smaller groups.
- Places on this excursion are limited. We recommend booking early.