BOAT TRIP TO DISCOVER THE PUFFINS
Sightseeing, Nature excursion
A boat trip for birdwatching enthusiasts: immense colonies of puffins will pose for some sensational photos.
What we will see
- Melrakkaey Island, birdwatching for puffins and numerous other bird species
- Mount Kirkjufell, one of Nature's wonders
What we will do
- We set off in our little boat for Melrakkaey Island, a vast, approximately 70 km² nature reserve off the*Grundarfjordur*, famous for its large colony of Puffins, Iceland's iconic birds.
- During the summer, an immense puffin colony nests on the cliffs and basalt columns of Melrakkaey, a protected paradise for many other bird specis as well, including guillemots, cormorants, seagulls, razorbills...
- As we sail past the island cliffs, we can see row upon row of little birds, perching on the edges of the cliffs, posing for a big group photo. With the bird colonies behind us, we can admire Mount Kirkjufell, one of Nature's miracles rising in front of us on the tip of the Snæfellsnes peninsula. A lovely little waterfall splashes its feet as it rises sheer and sharp above the surrounding waters that mirror it. The mountain chain and the impressive Mount Helgrindur provide a breathtaking backdrop to the tiny picturesque village of Grundarfjörður.
- We'll have to keep our eyes peeled on the return journey: we could meet the Gentle Giants of the Ocean, the whales, and let them spray us as we watch them dance around us.
What you need to know
- Places on this excursion are limited. We recommend booking early to avoid disappointment.
- This excursion includes an English speaking guide.
- Sightings of the marine birds depend on the season and weather conditions and cannot be guaranteed after mid August.