BOAT TRIP WITH BIRDWATCHING SAFARI
Sightseeing, Nature excursion
An adventure amidst unexplored islands, a fishing village and Arctic fauna.
What we will see
- Snæfellsnes, Iceland in miniature, the Snæfellsnes volcano
- Stykkishólmur, a village of nuns and fishermen
- Bay of Breiðafjörður, birdwatching
What we will do
- We begin this incredible boat trip by sailing round the unexplored islands off the Snæfellsnes peninsula, known as Iceland in Miniature", because this area offers many of the typical, natural wonders of Iceland.
- One example is the famous Snæfellsnes volcano, over 1,400 m high with an ice-capped peak: a contradiction in terms that earned it a special mention in Jules Verne's timeless Journey to the Centre of the Earth".
- We begin our journey with a picturesque view across the boundless landscape as far as the town of*Stykkishólmur*, a fishing village which has been a trading post for centuries, thanks to its favourable location.
- From Stykkishólmur we board a ferry to take us into the archipelago of adventures, where the swirling currents sweep us around numerous islands with very beautiful, unusual rock formations and basalt columns.
- Birdwatching enthusiasts can be prepared for an unforgettable experience: immense colonies of puffins, Iceland's iconic bird, and numerous other bird species nest amidst the cliffs and basalt columns of this region, allowing us to see them closeup and take some unique photos.
- Puffins, white-tailed sea eagles, shags, black guillemots, seagulls and, if we're lucky, some friendly seals.
- The waters of the bay of*Breiðafjörður* are rich in marine life and food: our captain will show us these treasures by dragging a net full of delicacies. The more adventurous of us will be able do our own fishing. The seafood will be the freshest you have ever seen!
What you need to know
- Places on this excursion are limited. We recommend booking early to avoid disappointment.
- This excursion includes an English speaking guide.