THE BEAUTY OF EAST ICELAND
Sightseeing, Nature excursion, Cultural
An engaging itinerary, visiting the main attractions of East Iceland: from the important town of Egilsstaðir to a lake inhabited by a legendary monster, a historic building and 13th century church. A hugely diverse excursion that will not fail to amaze.
What we will see
- Fjardarheidi passage
- Skriðuklaustur, 13th century church of Valthjofsstaður
What we will do
- We leave Seyðisfjörður and take a winding road that leads us to the Fjardarheidi passage, interrupted by numerous little waterfalls to create an incredible spectacle.
- We then continue towards Egilsstaðir, the largest town and a major economic centre of East Iceland, home to the region's main services, transport links and administrative centres: the airport, hospital and university.
- We pass Egilsstaðir, travelling alongside the enchanting Lagarfljót, the third largest lake in Iceland, said to be home to a monster resembling a giant snake. Known by locals as the Lagarfljotsormurinn, this terrifying creature is said to live in the depths of the lake. It goes without saying that it is occasionally spotted, causing a media sensation.
- Continuing our journey we travel along the banks of the lake.
- After a brief stop to take photographs we continue towards Skriðuklaustur, an unusual building made of blocks of basalt and white cement. The site of a former monastery, today it is a meeting place for local and international artists and writers.
- Next, we stop to admire the 13th century church of Valthjofsstaður with its adjoining farm. Consecrated in 1966 it is home to many precious objects, including a chalice and an exquisite paten.
What you need to know
- Places on this excursion are limited. We recommend booking early.