EXCURSION TO THE HENGIFOSS WATERFALL
Sightseeing, Nature excursion
A journey through unique landscapes and ancient legends to the spectacular Hengifoss waterfall and the smaller but no less spectacular Litlanesfoss, finally arriving in Hallormsstaður, the country's largest forest with trees from all over the world, some of which are over 20 metres tall.
What we will see
- Fjardarheidi passage, Egilsstaðir, Lagarfljót
- Hengifoss waterfall, Litlanesfoss waterfall
What we will do
- Leaving Seyðisfjörður behind us, we cross the imposing Fjardarheidi passage, interrupted by numerous little waterfalls to create an incredible spectacle.
- We pass Egilsstaðir, a major economic centre for East Iceland, and travel alongside the enchanting Lagarfljót, the third largest lake in Iceland said to be home to a monster resembling a giant snake, known by locals as the Lagarfljotsormurinn. This terrifying creature is said to live in the depths of the lake. It goes without saying that it is occasionally spotted, causing a media sensation.
- We then arrive at our destination with an enjoyable walk to the Hengifoss waterfall, the third highest in the country at 118 metres. The layers of red clay that cloud the basalt walls around the cascade make a great visual impact.
- A little below Hengifoss we find the small Litlanesfoss waterfall, just 30 metres high and surrounded by rows of basalt columns.
- Our walk takes us along the lake to get to Hallormsstaður, an area of untouched forest where over forty tree species grow from all over the world. As well as being the largest forest in the country, it also lays claim to the highest trees, the record being 22 metres.
- After a brief stop in Egilsstaðir we return to our ship docked in Seyðisfjörður.
What you need to know
- Places on this excursion are limited. We recommend booking early.
- The walk to Hengifoss lasts around an hour and a half on the way there and an hour on the way back.
- The path we walk along is made up of grass and gravel and is of medium difficulty. The excursion is therefore recommended for those who are physically fit.