VISIT TO SUZHOU THE "VENICE OF THE EAST" (concludes at the airport)
Sightseeing, Nature excursion, Cultural, Meal included
An excursion packed with sights and sounds in one of the most important and interesting cities of the Silk Road, also praised in "Il Milione" by Marco Polo, the great traveller who nicknamed it the Venice of the East.
What we will see
- Humble Administrator's Garden
- Silk spinning mill
- Boat trip on the Grand Canal
What we will do
- We begin our tour of the city of Suzhou at the Humble Administrator's Garden, which covers an area of five hectares and is one of the finest examples of a traditional Chinese garden.
- Inside the garden, built at the beginning of the 16th century, under the Ming dynasty, we immerse ourselves in a magical atmosphere, imbued with the sweet scent of lotus flowers, admiring the skilful arrangement of pagodas, pavilions, bridges, canals, ponds and artificial islets that in 1997 prompted UNESCO to declare it a World Heritage Site.
- Having finished our invigorating walk in the woods we stop for a pleasant and tasty lunch break.
- After eating we head off to a silk spinning factory, where we can learn about the elaborate and interesting process used to produce the famous and delicate Chinese silk.
- Since we are in the Venice of the East, we really have to take a boat tour on the Grand Canal, the longest artificial river in the world that connects Beijing to Zhejiang. This grandiose feat of engineering, with its 1,794 km, in 2014 was also declared a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Having finished our boat ride we go to the airport.
What you need to know
- The excursion is not recommended for guests with mobility problems.
- The itinerary may be subject to change.
- Do not forget a hat, sunglasses and a bottle of water.
- There are a limited number of Italian speaking guides; in their absence, the excursion will be conducted in English.
- The excursion is only for guests with flight disembarking from Shanghai Pudong airport departing after 11 pm.