HIKING ON THE SOUFRIÈRE: LIKE CONQUERORS ON TOP OF THE WORLD
Nature excursion, Packed lunch
An adventure dedicated to mountain enthusiasts - a challenging climb of the Soufrière volcano to 1233 m. From the top, we will enjoy an amazing view of the immense crater as well as the thrill of conquest.
What we will see
- Peaks in Saint Vincent
- Hike and climb of the Soufrière volcano
What we will do
- Those looking for a challenge can undertake the climb of mount Soufrière (1233), the highest peak in Saint Vincent.
- La Soufrière is a volcano that covers around a third of the island’s northern part and overlooks the fishing and rural villages of Richmond in the north-west and the area of Owia, home of the Caribe indios, in the north-east.
- From our terminal, a 90 minute coach drive takes us through the Rabacca dry river from where the Pitons, St. Lucia’s volcanic peaks, can be spotted on clear days.
- We continue as far as the Bamboo Range (365 metres asl), where the road ends and our hike starts.
- We recommend bringing a bottle of water for the 4.5 km hike, which takes us through tropical rainforest with bamboo trees surrounded by a myriad of epiphyte plants.
- The peak is reached after a 90 minute climb, but our efforts will be rewarded with the breath-taking views that make us feel as if we are on top of the world.
- We enjoy a light lunch with some fruit while taking in the amazing scenery.
- We recommend taking a camera because the crater, which formed during the last eruption, is perfectly visible in all its beauty and perfection.
- We finally return to Bamboo Range, where the coach awaits us to take us back to the terminal.
What you need to know
- The excursion is only suitable for those in good physical shape and is not recommended for those who suffer with vertigo.
- You must wear footwear suited to unpaved, uneven and wet ground when trekking.
- Sometimes the view may be obstructed by the mist.
- The time spent walking may vary depending on the fitness of the group participants.
- Participants must be at least 12 years of age.