PREMIUM EXPERIENCE: THE VERY BEST OF LAND AND SEA AT MAZARA DEL VALLO
Cultural, Gourmet Tours, Meal included
A fascinating journey of discovery into the history and architecture of Mazara del Vallo, topped off with a tasting experience for culinary connoisseurs.
What we will see
- Mazara del Vallo: centre and port
- Museum of the Dancing Satyr
- The Kasbah: Jesuit College, Basilica-Cathedral, Bishop's Palace, Seminary Palace
- Florio di Marsala winery: lunch of typical products, plus wine and cheese tasting
What we will do
- Our first destination is Mazara del Vallo, an ancient Phoenician site on the west coast of Sicily, at the mouth of the River Mazaro. Its strategic geographical position has made it a crossroads of peoples over the centuries. An active centre for Greek trade, Mazara del Vallo experienced its heyday during the Arab and Norman domination, a legacy that can still be felt in the historic centre, characterised by a maze of narrow streets typical of Islamic medinas.
- We will experience the city's beating heart: its harbour, teeming with fishing boats. It was a fishing boat from Mazara that found a bronze sculpture approximately two metres high in the depths of the sea, better known as the Dancing Satyr.
- We will move on to the deconsecrated church of Sant' Egidio, which dates back to the 14th century and is home to the museum that houses some of the treasures recovered from the Strait of Sicily. This is where we can admire the Dancing Satyr, an extremely elegant and rare example of bronze Greek statuary, probably sculpted by the school of Praxiteles, a Hellenistic sculptor.
- After leaving the museum, we will walk through the narrow streets of the kasbah, where we can admire the sumptuous palaces that tell its long history, such as the Jesuit College, the Basilica-Cathedral, the Bishop's Palace, the Seminary Palace, and more of the town's hidden gems.
- Our tour will be enhanced with a gourmet stop at the Florio di Marsala winery, a place steeped in history and passion. Founded by the Florio family in 1822, it is linked to the story of Garibaldi, of whom the family were ardent supporters. Filled with majestic giant vats, we will firstly be able to admire the bottaie, fascinating halls with arcades that shelter rows of different sized barrels and vats. We will then move on to the winery itself, a peaceful and silently evocative space that is home to litres and litres of Marsala. We will enjoy a light lunch prepared with the very best typical products Sicily has to offer.
- The Florio winery will finally treat us to an experiential tasting of their wines (including an opportunity to taste Marsala, flagship product of the winery and region), accompanied by a selection of cheeses that match perfectly with their different aromas.
What you need to know
- Places on this excursion are limited. We recommend booking early.