ENGLISH COUNTRYSIDE AND CORFE CASTLE
We will be enchanted by the beautiful English countryside in Dorset and the remains of Corfe Castle, a picturesque ancient construction that brings times gone by and forgotten worlds back to life.
What we will see
- Wonderful Dorset countryside
- Corfe Castle Village
- Corfe Castle *
What we will do
- We leave Portland and head east, crossing the wonderful Dorset countryside. Dorset is a county in the south of England and was the hometown of the famous author and poet, Thomas Hardy, who described many of its places in his works.
- We will arrive at Corfe Castle Village, a small centre just a few steps from the castle, where we will take a pleasant stroll before climbing the hill up to Corfe Castle. Home to the family of Sir John Bankes, Lord Chief Justice during Charles I's reign, this stronghold overlooked the main road crossing the Purbeck hills and owes its current state to the bombings during the English Civil War courtesy of Cromwell. We will have the chance to explore the picturesque ruins, follow the footsteps of the king, knights, soldiers, servants and prisoners who lived, worked, fought or visited Corfe Castle over the course of its colourful, thousand-year history.
- After the tour, we will still have time to return to the village and soak up the quaint atmosphere, stroll through the streets and browse the souvenir shops.
- Then we will return to our coach to head back to the ship and cross the delightful English countryside once more.
What you need to know
Space is limited, so please reserve early.