THE FLAVOURS AND HISTORY OF ALBENGA
Albenga stretches, as though it was itself a peninsula, towards the sea on the estuary of the River Centa. Accompanied by our tour rep, we set off in discovery of the sites and history of this ancient city before sampling a renowned local speciality, Ligurian olive oil.
What we will see
- Old town: Cathedral of San Michele and the eponymous Piazza
- Free time
- Olive Oil Museum, with tasting and refreshments
What we will do
- Leaving the port, we set off towards the city of Albenga, whose ancient city walls enclose its pointed red towers and protect a treasure trove of Roman, Medieval and Renaissance architecture.
- Our tour rep leads us through atmospheric streets, helping us to discover the best that this little city on the Riviera di Ponente has to offer. You can choose to visit independently “Magiche Trasparenze” exhibition (“Magical Transparencies”) which displays glassware found during architectural excavations in the city’s necropolises. These include the famous Blue Plate, a piece unlike any other anywhere in the world.
- We cross the picturesque Piazza di San Michele over which looms the eponymous Romanesque-Gothic Cathedral, and admire the octagonal 5th-century Baptistry – the oldest palaeo-Christian monument in Liguria – which houses an impressive mosaic.
- During our visit to Albenga, we have some free time to browse around the characterful shops and boutiques that face on to the ancient city streets and explore whichever corners of the centre most pique our curiosity.
- The surprised, however, are far from finished. Before we return to the ship, we enjoy a visit to the Oil Museum on the premises of renowed olive oil producer, the Sommariva company, where we can discover the secrets of this most precious of products and enjoy an appetizing snack.
What you need to know
- The entrance into the Museum of Magical Transparencies and the Baptistery are not included but with Costa Cruises, guests will receive a discount on the ticket price.