MELISSANI LAKE AND THE VILLAGE OF AGIA EFIMIA
Sightseeing, Nature excursion
A spectacular underground lake now exposed to the sunlight, creating magical plays of light, a picturesque fishing village, and an enchanting white sand beach: a unique excursion to discover the best of Kefalonia and admire the extraordinary natural landscapes that have made Greece famous.
What we will see
- Lake Melissani, boat trip, play of lights
- Village of Agia Efimia, alleyways, cafés, taverns
- Myrtos Beach
What we will do
- We will set off to the north from Argostoli across the island's lush landscapes. Our destination is Lake Melissani, also known as the "Cave of the Nymphs", a fascinating and mysterious place. Discovered in 1951, this natural wonder was once a cave that contained a subterranean lake. In 1953, an earthquake brought down the cave's roof, allowing the sun's rays to illuminate the water, creating incredible plays of light that change depending on the position of the sun. The boat trip is an excellent opportunity to take some unforgettable photographs.
- Following our visit to this enchanted place, we will make our way to Agia Efimia, a picturesque fishing village on the east coast of Kefalonia, surrounded by the mountains lining the Pylaros valley. Bathed by the crystal waters of the Ionian Sea, life in this village follows a steady rhythm, in keeping with nature. Here we will stroll along the characteristic alleys, where we will be able to treat ourselves in little tavernas and top quality cafés.
- On our way back to Argostoli, we will make a photo stop at Myrtos Beach, named one of the three most beautiful beaches in the world.
What you need to know
- This excursion is not recommended for guests with mobility problems.
- Places on this excursion are limited. We recommend booking early.
- The planned panoramic itinerary includes a number of curves and hairpin bends.