A RELAXING DAY ON THE BEACH OF MAGEN'S BAY AND SHOPPING IN CHARLOTTE AMALIE
An excellent combination allowing us to spend our free time relaxing on the famous beach of Magen's Bay and then finish off the day with two hours shopping at Charlotte Amalie. Get ready to enjoy some amazing offers!
What we will see
- Beach of Magen's Bay: crystal-clear waters, white sands, palm trees
- Drake's Seat
- Shopping at Charlotte Amalie
What we will do
- We will begin our tour by heading to the beach of Magen's Bay, rated as one of the top ten most beautiful beaches in the world by the National Geographic. The bay is famous for its heart shape and the scenery which includes a backdrop of volcanic mountains. The white sand beach is about a kilometre and a half long and gently gravitates into the water. The bay's history is very interesting: local legend, in fact, tell that Sir Francis Drake used Magen's Bay to anchor his boats, whilst, perched on a promontory near to whether other vessels passed, he looked at which of these he could attack and rob. Later on, local sugar cane producers used this same beach to load and unload the sugar, molasses and rum: in actual fact, the remains of a former road used in this period can be seen in the southern part. Here we can enjoy 2 full hours to relax with the crystal-clear waters, white sand and a spectacular coast littered with palm trees.
- On the journey, we will stop at Drake's Seat to admire the splendid view of Magen's Bay from above as well as the surrounding islands. It was from this viewpoint that the famous English captain and corsair watched Spanish ships with an eye to ransack them for Queen and country.
- The second and final stop on our tour will lead us to the picturesque small village of Charlotte Amalie: the name of the capital, the largest city of the US Virgin Islands comes from Carlotta Amalia d'Assia-Kassel (1650-1714), the wife of King Christian V of Denmark. We will have 2 hours for shopping in the traditional shops where we will find plenty of offers and bargains.
- The coach driver will expect us at a set time and at a set place to return to the ship.
What you need to know
- We recommend that you book early because only a limited number of places are available.
- Do not forget to bring swimwear, a towel, sunglasses and sun cream.
- The itinerary may be subject to change.
- Food, drinks and hire of the lounger are available subject to payment directly on the beach.