THE "SASSI DI MATERA"
An excursion dedicated entirely to Matera, the so-called "città dei Sassi" (literally "city of stones", its cave dwellings being dug out of the rock), which was declared both a UNESCO World Heritage Site and European capital of culture for 2019, to discover its exceptional historical, artistic and cultural heritage and its wholesome, authentic folk.
What we will see
- Alleys and dwellings dug out of limestone
- "Sassi" and rock-hewn churches with frescoes
What we will do
- We leave the port of Bari by coach for Matera, an ancient city of prehistoric origins that will amaze us with its exceptional artistic and cultural heritage.
- We start our tour of the city, accompanied by our local guide, walking through alleys and dwellings dug out of the limestone, retracing the life of Man from the Stone Age to the present.
- We then proceed with our excursion to discover the so-called "Sassi", ancient quarters of the city that are steeped in archaic charm. They are an example of an urban structure that is not found anywhere else in the world, and have been declared a UNESCO World Heritage Site. In addition, there are also more than a hundred cave churches.
- As we walk around the "Sassi" we experience the same enchanting atmosphere that so inspired the American actor and director, Mel Gibson, in 2004 that it convinced him to choose Matera, a city in the heart of the Basilicata region, as the set for his colossal film "The Passion of the Christ".
What you need to know
- The tour of the Città dei Sassi involves walking over rough terrain. It is therefore recommended that you wear comfortable shoes.
- The journey from Bari to Matera takes approximately 1 hour.
- In case of heavy traffic, the excursion may last approximately 30 minutes longer.
- This excursion is not recommended for guests with mobility problems.