OLD BARI AND THE NEW CITY: TWO FACES OF THE SAME CITY
A tour exploring Bari and discovering its hidden treasures, passing from the old historic centre to the modern part of the city, visiting the main monuments along the way and ending with a pleasant walk along the famous seafront promenade.
What we will see
- The historic centre of Bari: Basilica of Saint Nicholas and Church of Saint Gregory
- Norman-Swabian Castle (external visit)
- The New City
What we will do
- This tour takes us to the beautiful historical centre of Bari to visit its 'treasures'. We start with the Basilica of Saint Nicholas - built in the Apulian Romanesque style during the Norman domination - where the relics of the famous patron saint of the city are preserved, followed by a tour of the exterior of the Church of Saint Gregory. Built during the10th and 11th centuries, its interior is divided into three naves which lead to three apses.
- The tour proceeds with a visit of the exterior of the famous Castello Normanno-Svevo (Norman-Swabian Castle), a defensive bulwark of the old town that has come to symbolise the whole city. Built by the Normans in the 12th century, it was destroyed in 1156 and rebuilt at the behest of Frederick II between 1233 and 1240. The manor is one of the most interesting fortifications in the region, above all because of its strategic location. The castle, which is a fascinating example of a medieval construction, has numerous extensions that were built in successive periods. Today it hosts occasional events and temporary exhibitions.
- Once we leave the old part of the city we move to the città nuova (the new city) where we have some free time to explore the surroundings as we please. We then go for a walk along the seafront promenade, Bari's pride and joy, which features numerous imposing buildings from the 1930s.
What you need to know
- The visit to the old city involves walking for approximately 2 hours.
- Dress code that is appropriate for the places of worship to be visited is recommended.
- This excursion is not recommended for guests with mobility problems.