EXPERIENCE TOUR: THE COLONIAL HISTORY – A TRAVEL IN THE PAST OF MAURITIUS
Nature excursion, Cultural, Meal included
A unique experience to explore and learn more about the wonderful world of tea, venturing into the history and culture of Mauritius.
What we will see
- Les Aubineaux
- Bois Cheri and tea tasting
- Saint-Aubin and the Anthurium house
- Lunch with typical Creole dishes
What we will do
- Once we leave the port we travel backwards in time, away from the din of cars and the hustle and bustle of modern cities. We start this experience with a stop at Les Aubineaux, a splendid colonial style house built in 1872, in the middle of a tea plantation. In 2000 the house was transformed into a museum and today stands in all its splendour surrounded by a wonderful garden enhanced by camphor trees. On this visit we can learn more about the various cultures of Mauritius.
- Our next stop is in the village of Bois Cheri to visit the plant where the Mauritians favourite tea is produced. In the oldest plantation of Mauritius which dates back to 1892, we learn how to recognize the various flavours of tea by observing the transformation processwith which a wonderful vanilla flavoured tea is obtained from the green leaves. From the Chalet we can view the immense plantation surrounded by a beautiful lake. In this beautiful setting can enjoy a magnificent view of the southern side of the island, while we taste the various flavours of Bois Chéri typical teas.
- We then leave the Chalet and head for the historic colonial dwelling of Saint-Aubin . Built in 1819 during the French period it was built using wood from old ships. Inside the estate we can also see the Anthurium greenhouse, the Vanilla House and the Rum House, before an unforgettable delicious lunch with typical Creole dishes.
What you need to know
- Spaces are limited, so please reserve early.
- The means of transportation may vary and are of local standard; some may not have air conditioning.
- The tour order may vary.
- There are a limited number of English speaking guides; if unavailable excursions will be led in French.