OSAKA CASTLE AND STROLL IN DOTONBORI (JAPAN/EU)
Sightseeing, Cultural, Shopping, Lunch not included
Two contradictory yet complementary sides of Osaka combine on this enchanting excursion that will take us to the charming setting of a 16th-century castle surrounded by a large park steeped in history. Then we will be amazed on a stroll though the ultra-modern, bustling Dotonbori district with its neon signs and huge screens constantly attracting the attention of passers-by.
What we will see
- Osaka castle and park
- 17th-century walls
- Dotonbori district: restaurants and shops with big screens, neon signs and a vibrant and bustling atmosphere
What we will do
- We start off our excursion with the famous Osaka castle, one of the most popular and important monuments in the country and a true architectural gem erected in the 16th century.
- We wander around the large park that surrounds the castle with its main keep, with its characteristic green pagoda roofs and golden ornaments, as well as numerous minor outbuildings belonging to the ancient manor.
- Even though many parts were rebuilt during the modern age, this ancient place steeped in history has retained its charm.
- We can admire the imposing stone walls built in 1620, which are still practically intact to this day. They were built with huge granite blocks taken from the quarries in the Seto Inland Sea and decorated with the symbols of the various families that placed them in the walls.
- Our second stop is the Dotonbori district in the centre of Osaka on the southern bank of the Dotonbori-gawa canal. It is one of the most popular tourist destinations in Osaka and is brimming with restaurants and shops with large neon signs and huge screens.
- We wander along the streets, which are often the location for Japanese and foreign films, and immerse ourselves in the lively bubbly atmosphere that characterises this area before heading back to the coach and back to the ship.
What you need to know
- The length of the coach transfer depends on the itinerary.
- We recommend that you book early because only a limited number of places are available.
- Traffic jams are to be expected during tourist season.
- Money cannot be exchanged at the port; we recommend buying Japanese yen beforehand.
- Visibility during the tour is subject to weather conditions.
- Comfortable shoes are recommended.
- The visit to the Osaka castle includes a 30 minute walk.