CAGLIARI, OLD AND NEW
Adagio Tour is an experience created in collaboration with Costa Crociere Foundation and Aism to meet the needs of guests who would like a “slower” pace to better savour the stops and their sights on itineraries with minimum architectural barriers.The "Adagio Tour" version of this excursion is available exclusively on Costa Diadema.
An amazing opportunity to discover the two sides of Cagliari: the historic city, where traces of the various powers that have controlled the island through the centuries are still visible today, and the modern city, with its distinctive districts and Art Nouveau architecture
What we will see
- The historic part: Amphitheatre, Citadel of Museums, Cathedral, Castle District
- Modern part: Via Roma, old town and Marina district
What we will do
- We leave the port behind us on a coach and head in the direction of the splendid city of Cagliari, the capital and main port of Sardinia.
- We stop by Mount Urpino, offering amazing views of the city, salt pans and wonderful lagoon where pink flamingos make their nests.
- The sightseeing tour continues passing by Parco di Molentargius and the Shrine of Our Lady of Bonaria as far as the Castle. We then move on to the old part of Cagliari and see the Roman amphitheatre, built between the 1st and 2nd centuries AD when Sardinia was under Roman rule and used to stage naval battles that required a complex pumping system. It is located on the Buoncammino hillside and, despite the fact that it is currently being restored, we can see it up close thanks to an alternative route.
- The Museum Citadel is located nearby and is home to some of the city's most important artistic treasures such as those of the Archaeological Museum and National Gallery.
- We then reach Piazza Palazzo, overlooked by Palazzo Viceregio, the old seat of the Municipality, the episcopal see and the Cathedral.
- The Cathedral of Santa Maria Assunta and of Sant Cecilia or, more simply, Cagliari Cathedralis the main place of worship in Cagliari. A fixed wooden ramp and a mobile metal one make it easy for visitors to see the interior and admire its beauties. It is possible to visit the bastions and the historic Castello district located at the top of a limestone hill and featuring terraces offering amazing views of the city where small craft shop preserved their old architecture.
- On the way back, we cross the most modern part of Cagliari,i.e. the Marina district, once home to fishermen and merchants and now characterised by its Art-Nouveau villas.
What you need to know
- The view of the Amphitheatre will be partly restricted due to restoration work and external scaffolding.
- During religious functions visits to churches are limited to a tour of the exterior.
- This excursion is conducted mainly on foot, it is therefore recommended to wear comfortable shoes.
- Disable guests need to be escorted by an accompanying person.
- For those guests with wheel chair, the reservation of the Adagio tour need to be done exclusively through your cruise reservation agent.