THE ROMAN VILLA OF PIAZZA ARMERINA AND THE FLAVOURS OF SICILY
Sightseeing, Cultural, Meal included
This excursion will take us deep into a past rich in the history, art and culture of eastern Sicily, with a visit to a Roman villa that recalls all the splendour of Antiquity, finishing with a delicious meal of traditional, typical dishes in a fairy-tale setting.
What we will see
- Piazza Armerina
- Villa Romana del Casale
- San Michele di Ganzaria and a typical Sicilian lunch in a historic manor house
What we will do
- We will set off from the port of Catania with our guide towards Piazza Armerina, located about 700 metres above sea level near Enna.
- Our primary destination is the famous Villa Romana del Casale, a few kilometres from the town, built in the late 3rd century AC as a hunting and leisure residence for a rich landowner.
- The villa, which stretches for around 3,500 square metres, was declared a UNESCO World Heritage Site thanks to its priceless value and exceptional state of preservation.
- The beautiful mosaics that cover the floors allow us to relive everyday life as it was almost two thousand years ago. Examining the magnificent designs transports us into hunting battles and the recreational activities of the time, such as games and sports; they also re-evoke the hours spent by the villa's inhabitants at the baths.
- Our excursion continues to San Michele di Ganzaria, where we will be served a typical Sicilian lunch in a fourteenth-century manor house, a magical place where the aromas and flavours of the island's most authentic cuisine meet.
- In the afternoon, before returning to the ship, we will have the opportunity to look around this splendid structure, built around a Sicilian baglio courtyard building and a village of stone houses.
What you need to know
- The transfer to Piazza Armerina takes approximately 2 hours.
- We recommend that you book early because only a limited number of places are available.