St. Denis – Le Port
THE LANDSCAPES OF RÉUNION, INLAND FROM THE WEST COAST TO THE HEART OF THE ISLAND
Sightseeing, Nature excursion
A sightseeing tour heading inland to explore the volcanic heart of the island of Réunion. To top things off, we also visit a geranium-oil distillery
What we will see
- Heading inland into the heart of Réunion
- Piton Maido
- Geranium-oil distillery
What we will do
We set of by coach, heading to the west coast of the island and passing nearby the town of Saint-Paul, where the first French colonists arrived in 1646.
- Following the coast, we pass a long stretch of sandy beaches, some of white sand, others dark.
- We then cut inland, into the interior of the island and witness how the traditional farms vary as we climb to higher altitudes, fields of sugar cane giving way to geranium plantations and tamarind orchards.
- Our route now takes us the top of the Piton Maido where we are treated to a breathtaking view of the surrounding calderas and mountains. What better place to take a few snaps?
- Our next destination is a geranium-oil distillery where we can observe the elaborate process by which geranium leaves are transformed into essences for the perfume industry.
- We are scheduled to return to the ship in time for lunch.
What you need to know
- Spaces are limited, so please reserve early. the road has several sharp curves and hairpin bends.
- The itinerary will take us up over 2,000m above sea level, so please bring suitable clothing.
- The means of transportation may vary and are of local standard; some may not have air conditioning.
- This excursion is not recommended for people with walking difficulties.
- The meteorological conditions may suddenly change and the visibility may be reduced.
- There are a limited number of English speaking guides; should no guides be available, excursions will be led in French.
- This tour is only for guests with flights leaving after 6 pm