DISCOVERING AARHUS ON FOOT
We will immerse ourselves in the city of Aarhus, covering its streets on foot, visiting the most interesting spots and discovering the ancient history of this settlement, which was possibly the first in the whole of Scandinavia.
What we will see
- Tour of Aarhus
- Cathedral * Latin Quarter
- Viking Museum
- Church of Our Lady
What we will do
- We will meet our expert guide who will take us on a pleasant stroll to explore Aarhus, telling us about the history of the city that is probably the oldest in Scandinavia, founded back in the 7th century.
- Our first stop will be Aarhus Cathedral, the longest and tallest in the whole of Denmark and one of the oldest red brick buildings in Jutland. Today, the restored bell tower stands at over 94 metres tall, whilst the church is over 90 metres long. The inside houses over 200 frescoes from the 14th and 15th centuries, as well as an altar from the 16th century sculpted by the Master of Lübeck, Bernt Notke.
- After the cathedral, we will move on to the Latin Quarter, the oldest and most fashionable quarter in the city. We will stroll through the courtyards and past the 18th-century merchants' houses used partly as homes and partly as shops. It was in this vibrant quarter that the industrialisation process began which led to Aarhus becoming the main port and second largest city in Denmark.
- Our next stop will be the Viking Museum, located underground beneath a bank, where traces of the ancient Viking city were discovered in 1960: part of the bastions, significant archaeological material and the remains of dwellings. We will travel back through time, seeing utensils and products dating back hundreds of years!
- After visiting the museum, we will walk to the Church of Our Lady, built between the 13th and 15th centuries. Its crypt is the oldest vaulted building in Scandinavia. Then we will say goodbye to the fascinating city of Aarhus and return to the ship.
What you need to know
- We recommend that you book early because only a limited number of places are available.