OLD GENOA: THE WONDERS AND FLAVOURS OF THE PORT, HISTORIC CENTRE AND THE STRADA NUOVA
A stroll through the heart of Genoa's historic centre, discovering its lavish buildings, most famous streets and typical gastronomic delights.
What we will see
- Via Garibaldi
- Red Palace
- Historic centre
- Doge's palace, San Lorenzo Cathedral
- Sottoripa porticoes
What we will do
- We venture into the historic centre of Genoa, the capital of Liguria, a former Maritime Republic and European Capital of Culture in 2004.
- We reach the heart of the city by sea, with a short boat ride from the port to the exhibition area, where we will continue our tour on foot, through the most interesting and picturesque places in the city.
- Our guide will take us to the street that Rubens described as "the most beautiful in Europe": Via Garibaldi, better known as Strada Nuova (New Road). This pedestrianised main road passes some of the most lavish buildings in Genoa, which were built in the 16th century as residences for the most important noble families and were restored to their original splendour for "Genoa 2004".
- At this point, we visit the Red Palace (Palazzo Rosso), then enjoy a delicious tasting session.
- Before we reach the Old Port, we follow an itinerary that will show us the Doge's Palace and the majestic San Lorenzo Cathedral from the outside.
- During the free time at our disposal, we can browse the old, distinctive porticoes of Sottoripa.
- Our boat awaits us for a trip round the port before we rejoin the ship.
What you need to know
- This excursion is not recommended for guests with mobility problems.
- We recommend wearing comfortable shoes.
- Palaces, churches and monuments may be closed without prior warning due to local circumstances. In such cases, our visit will be restricted to the exterior of the building.