FLORENCE AND ITS TREASURES: A TOUR OF THE MAIN MONUMENTS AND SQUARES IN THE CITY
Cultural, Shopping, Packed lunch
The fascination of Florence, its monuments, churches and squares is eternal, and this tour will allow us to explore it, together with a local tour guide.
What we will see
- Piazzale Michelangelo and reproduction of David
- Cathedral of Santa Maria del Fiore and Giotto's Bell Tower
- Baptistry of Saint John
- Piazza della Signoria, Palazzo Vecchio, Palazzo Fenzi, Loggia dei Lanzi
- Piazza Santa Croce and Basilica
What we will do
- Our coach leaves the port of La Spezia for Florence, a city that became the capital of the Grand Duchy of Tuscany under the rule of the Medici family, establishing itself as a driving economic power with groundbreaking artistic, cultural and political developments.
- On our arrival in Florence, our local tour guide will accompany us on a panoramic coach tour as far as Piazzale Michelangelo. This square, dedicated to the artist of the same name, is home to copies of some of his famous works, including a bronze reproduction of his statue of David. From here we can enjoy a magnificent view of Florence, a city of contrasts: from this lofty vantage point, we see the city surrounded by the countryside, yet we are just a stone's throw from a fascinating urban world.
- We then head to the old city centre and the start of a journey through history. Exploring streets of the city centre we soon find ourselves face to face with the Cathedral of Santa Maria del Fiore in all its beauty, complete with Giotto's famous Bell Tower. Nearby, we can admire the Baptistry of Saint John, a typical Florentine Romanesque construction covered in precious green and white marble.
- Our walk continues as far as the busy Piazza della Signoria, the historic hub of life for the people of Florence. It is one of the most beautiful places in Tuscany, surrounded by the splendour of its various monuments and palaces: from the imposing Palazzo Vecchio, to Palazzo Fenzi and the Loggia dei Lanzi.
- A photo against the backdrop of the Ponte Vecchio will be an unforgettable reminder of our trip.
- We continue on foot to Piazza Santa Croce to admire the Basilica of the same name. It houses the funerary monument of the poet Ugo Foscolo, whose work "Dei Sepolcri" praised the splendour of the Basilica, the temple that houses the glories of Italy, "l'Itale glorie".
- Before we return to La Spezia, we can make the most of a little free time, taking photos of the city's priceless artistic treasures, or shopping for an exclusive slice of "Made in Italy".
What you need to know
- The guide will join the excursion group directly in Florence.
- This excursion is conducted mainly on foot, it is therefore recommended to wear comfortable shoes.
- Dress code that is appropriate for the places of worship to be visited is recommended.
- This tour includes a basket lunch prepared by our ship staff.