PUERTO PLATA FROM ALL ANGLES
An unmissable excursion for anyone wanting to see all the different sides to Puerto Plata and its long history, including: the rum distilleries that made the Dominican Republic famous, the fascinating Amber Museum, a stone that is particularly common in the Puerto Plata area, and finally the city's main monuments that tell of its colonial past and let us relive stories of pirates and adventures on the high seas.
What we will see
- Puerto Plata
- Brugal Distillery
- Amber Museum
- Plaza Independencia and the cathedral of San Felipe
- San Felipe Fort
What we will do
- We will leave the port and head to Puerto Plata, literally "silver port", with its enviable location between the sea and the mountains.
- The first stage of our tour is the famous Brugal distillery, founded in 1888, which produces an excellent Dominican rum. The factory visit allows us to learn some interesting facts about its history and the production process, and we will also have some free time for shopping.
- Then we will head to the Amber Museum, which is worthy of a visit not only for its fossil remains embedded in resin which has become rock, but also the wonderful Victorian dwelling it houses, Villa Bentz.
- Our tour will then take us to Plaza Independencia*, the square lying at the heart of the old town, where the wonderful* San Felipe cathedral lies, **built in an Art Déco style.
- Then we will stop at the San Felipe fort, built in the 16th century to defend the city against pirate invasions. There we will have the chance to learn more about Puerto Plata's interesting history and take some incredible photos of the charming view from the top of the fort.
What you need to know
- We recommend that you book early because only a limited number of places are available.