Salvador da Bahia
EASY TOUR: PELOURINHO AND SHOPPING AT THE MERCADO MODELO
With this tour, we are left free to explore two of the main attractions of Salvador de Bahia: the lively district of Pelourinho, where we encounter the city's history, and the Mercado Modelo, where we give free rein to our desire to shop.
What we will see
- Pelourinho district
- Terreiro del Jesus Square, Praça da Sé
- Mercado Modelo
What we will do
- Our tour makes a first stop at the Pelourinho, a lively historic district with many bars and monuments, a favourite hangout of the locals.
- Declared a Unesco World Heritage site, the district was built by the Portuguese during the colonial boom years of the 18th and 19th centuries, as a residential, administrative and religious centre. Abandoned for much of the 20th century, a series of restorations has returned it to its former glory.
- Pelourinho is bounded by Terreiro de Jesus Square, a historical and cultural site of great significance, which overlooks the city's cathedral. Next, there is the beautiful Praça da Sé, adorned by the monument to Zumbi, the leader of a slave revolt.
- After our walk in the Pelourinho, we move on to the Mercado Modelo, the city's main craft centre, visited by 80% of tourists coming to Salvador de Bahia.
- The neoclassical style building that houses the market has been declared a national historic and artistic heritage site. Its 8,410 square metres on two floors are home to 263 shops that offer the widest assortment of crafts, gifts and souvenirs available in the city. We can really indulge ourselves with a spot of shopping!
- The market also houses two traditional Bahian restaurants, including the "Maria de São Pedro", which has been there for over 80 years. If shopping makes us hungry, we are in the right place!
What you need to know
- There will not be a guide on the excursion. Guests will be given free time to visit the Pelourinho and the Mercado Modelo, according to information provided by a local coordinator.
- Entrance tickets to places of interest are not included in the price.