HIKING ON THE SELLA DEL DIAVOLO AND PANORAMIC TOUR OF CAGLIARI
A pleasant walk on the promontory of Sella del Diavolo to discover the natural and historical treasures, surrounded by magnificent views of the Gulf of Cagliari, and a scenic tour of the city with stops of the the most beautiful sights.
What we will see
- Sella del Diavolo: fort and the Tower of Poetto
- View of the Gulf of Cagliari
- Panoramic tour of Cagliari
- Bonaria Basilica (outside) and Monte Urpinu
What we will do
- We will reach the tops of Sella del Diavolo*, just a few minutes from the city: the promontory stands on the southern side of Poetto beach, a lengthy stretch of sand between the salt pans and the sea.
- We will begin our walk following the natural trail and pass the 'ancient Roman road which climbs from Portus Salis, where, at present, the marina of Marina Piccola is found, right up to the top of the promontory.
- We will cross a narrow valley, a genuine canyon excavated from an ancient river within the limestone promontory, covered with Mediterranean maquis. Here, we can admire many, popular botanical species, such as the palm tree of San Pietro, wild olives and junipers.
- We will finally reach the top of the promontory where the remains of a small fort dating back to the Second World War and the Tower of Poetto, built in the 17th Century, can be found.
- From the top of the promontory, we can enjoy a breathtaking view of the Gulf of Cagliari, with its turquoise sea, the white sand beach of Poetto and the far-off mountains.
- After the walk, we will continue our tour with a sightseeing tour of Cagliari, which takes us to the top part of the city.
- We will stop to take photos in front of the imposing façade of the Basilica of Bonaria, built in 1704 in honour of the Virgin of Bonaria, a sacred image of Mary which miraculously escaped a storm and which landed in the port of Cagliari.
- We will then arrive at Mount Urpinu, one of the most beautiful green area in the city centre, which, with its panoramic terrace provides visitors with marvellous views across the entire Gulf of Angels. We will stop for a final photo opportunity, enjoying splendid Cagliari before returning to the ship.
What you need to know
- This excursion does not include the services of a guide. A local tour escort will provide general information in Italian and English.
- Places are limited, so be sure to book early.
- The tour is not recommended for guests with mobility difficulties.
- It is recommended to wear comfortable shoes.
- Minimum age: 10 years.
- Do not forget a hat and a bottle of water.