HISTORY AND FLAVOURS OF PUERTO PLATA
Sightseeing, Nature excursion, Cultural, Meal included
Let us discover Puerto Plata, a magnificent place that was the setting of important historical events. After learning about them during a tour of the city, we immerse ourselves in the flavours and aromas of this land by visiting coffee and tropical fruit plantations. The perfect end to our excursion is a typical lunch we enjoy together!
What we will see
- Puerto Plata and Malecón
- Forteza San Felipe
- Cathedral of St. Philip and Plaza Independencia
- Puerto Plata Cigar Club and Factory
- Don Fernando's Ranch
- Fruit, coffee and rum tasting session
- Typical lunch
What we will do
- We set off on our coach to discover Puerto Plata, which owes its historic importance to the Spanish dominance that started already in the second decade after America was first discovered.
- We pass by the most important areas in Puerto Plata and drive along Malecón, the spectacular seafront that runs fro kilometres along the coast.
- We reach forteza San Felipe, erected in 1564 to defend the city from pirate attacks. Here, our local guides will provide interesting information about its history.
- We continue our itinerary to admire the exterior of the amazing Art Deco Cathedral of St. Philip in Plaza Independencia, also known as Parque Central and heart of the historical city centre.
- After our journey through history, the time has come to discover the flavours and traditions of this fascinating land. We visit the Puerto Plata Cigar Club and Factory where we learn more about this craft and have the chance to try and purchase handmade cigars and organic coffee.
- We then move on to Don Fernando's Ranch where we visit plantations of local products such as coffee, cocoa, bananas, mangoes and cane sugar and observe exotic plants and flowers up close.
- We learn more about the rum making process in the local museum and do not miss the chance to enjoy the exquisite Dominican rum.
- The time has come to sit at the table and enjoy a delicious typical lunch - the best way to bid farewell to Puerto Plata and its marvels.
What you need to know
- We recommend that you book early because only a limited number of places are available.
- Do not forget to bring sun cream, a hat and sunglasses.
- Comfortable shoes and clothing are recommended.