THE RURAL HINTERLAND OF AUCKLAND
Admire the rural landscape of the hinterland while crossing the wine region with a stop to learn more about boobies, clever birds who hunt in the sea, and a visit to a sheep farm to discover everyday life in the countryside.
What we will see
- Kumeu and Huapai wine region
- Muriwai beach
- Booby colony
- Haumoana Farm
- Rearing activities
- Morning tea
- Waitoki and Dairy Flat countryside
What we will do
- We leave the port and set off towards the Kumeu and Huapai wine region**, where some of the most renowned wines in New Zealand are produced and where we can admire the lush green vineyards.
- We reach the beach of Muriwai, with its black volcanic sand lapped by the big waves that attract many surfers. * After a stroll on the dunes delimiting the beach, we reach a very special place - One of the only two places where boobies nest on the mainland. We can observe the behaviour of boobies up close and their spectacular technique as they dive into the water to catch fish.
- Once we leave Muriwai behind us, we pass through a tranquil rural region until we reach Haumoana Farm, a large breeding farm located in the South Kaipara peninsula. We enjoy the warm welcome by Greg and Barbara Ross, who breed 300 Romney sheep for meat and wool as well as 200 cattle and a small herd of deer.
- We get the chance to observe some of the everyday activities on the farm: trained dogs that guard the flock, a demonstration of professional shearing and other typical activities.
- We are then invited into their home to enjoy morning tea together with our kind hosts.
- After the visit, we return to Auckland with a panoramic tour through the Waitoki and Dairy Flat countryside towards the port.
What you need to know
- This excursion is not recommended for guests with mobility problems.
- We recommend that you book early because only a limited number of places are available.