SUDUREYRI FOOD TRAIL
Sightseeing, Nature excursion, Tasting
This tour takes you on a journey to the eco-conscious village of Suðureyri where the locals have embraced an intriguing approach to food.
What we will see
- The eco-conscious fishing village of Suðureyri (Iceland Westfjords)
- Local tastings in various places around the village
What we will do
- This tour takes you on a journey to the eco-conscious village of Suðureyri where the locals have embraced an intriguing approach to food.
- The inhabitants of the Westfjords have often had to fight for survival in an unforgiving landscape. Whether it be the isolation caused by blocked mountain roads in winter, destructive avalanches or the decline in fishing around its waters. It is a subject of wonder to some who visit this area what exactly drives the people of the small villages dotting the coast to fight incessantly to keep their communities afloat and save them from the fate of abandonment.
- This enlightening tour gives an insight into how the ingenuity of the villagers has contributed to their small communities. We will visit the small eco-conscious fishing village of Suðureyri. Here we will stop at various places to enjoy sumptuous tastes of local produce and meet the local producers and innovators.
- Here, the local fishing boats are speed-boats allowing fishermen to quickly sail out to see and return promptly to land with fresh, high-quality catches. The speed and efficiency is such that the local catch is on sale in Europe a short 36 hours later. The fishermen strive to practice sustainable, environmentally friendly fishing in hope that this will ensure their own future and that of their children
What you need to know
- Mainly on paved flat surfaces, some incline and a few steps around the village. Kindly note this is a walking tour and the total length walked is approx 1,5km so this tour is not suitable for guests with limited mobility. Wheelchair accessible if people can get in/out of the bus without help.
- Dress in line with local weather conditions (we recommend layers, the outer being wind/waterproof) - with sturdy, non slip foot wear, camera!