St. Denis – Le Port
ST PAUL & STELLA MATUTINA MUSEUM, A HISTORY OF SUGAR AND THE ISLAND OF REUNION
Stella Matutina is a classified Museum of France since 1991, located in a former factory and its surrounding farmland.
An amazing museum of techniques, presenting and explaining the agricultural and industrial sugar making recently re-opened. Stella Matutina is also a way to understand the past society's history of Maurice´ island, strongly shaped by sugar-related activities, and in the same time a tribute to men and women who created the island's identity and helped to make what Reunion is today. An astonishing museum with multimedia systems and perfectly accessible to disable guests.
What we will see
- Museum Stella Matutina
- Stop at the historic place « Grotte des Premiers Français »
- Visit of marine sailor cemetery
What we will do
- Departure from Pier to the museum Stella Matutina. Situated in one of the oldest sugar cane factory, the museum offers a discovery of the industrial making of sugar cane and give information about the story of the island and its inhabitants
- Transfer to St Paul to visit the cave "Grotte des Premiers Français" which was the first place occupied following to the disembarkation of French in the Bay of St Paul.
- In St-Paul, former capital of Reunion Island, you will visit the Marine Cemetery where the remaining of famous people lie, such as the poet from Reunion Island Leconte de Lisle or the Pirate Olivier “La Buse” Levasseur who disappeared with his treasure’s secret.
- After we drive back to the ship.