MARTINIQUE BOTANICAL GARDENS AND ZOO
Come with us and visit this unique Botanical garden created among the ruins of one of if not the oldest plantation in the island “Habitation Anse Latouche totally destroyed on may 8th, 1902 by the volcano eruption.
You will discover the Martinique Zoo! Monkeys, jaguars, pumas, lorikeets, great anteater, raccoons ...
What we will see
- The Botanical Garden
- The Martinique Zoo
- Balata Church
What we will do
- Heading west via the Caribbean Coast, you will pass along little fishing villages before your arrival to this unique Botanical garden created among the ruins of one of if not the oldest plantation in the island “Habitation Anse Latouche totally destroyed on may 8th, 1902 by the volcano eruption.
- In the enchanting setting, you can now discover the Martinique Zoo! Monkeys, jaguars, pumas, lorikeets, great anteater, raccoons ... and hundreds of others already present today or planned inhabit these places for your viewing pleasure. In the midst of the ruins of the house renovated Latouche, dated of 1643 that visitors can walk through a didactic trail to discover the animals and why not interact with them.
- The remains of the house Latouche, nestled in the valley reflect the economic activity of yesteryear in Martinique and its rich heritage. During your visit you will discover the main house and its charming colonial style, the old equipment workshops cassava, indigo, and of course sugar and rum.
- On your return way you will pass via St Pierre the most famous place in Martinique, Saint Pierre, even if it is for tragic reasons. Before the eruption it was the cultural and economic capital called “the Paris of the Caribbean”. The town had been destroyed by a volcano eruption in 1902 killing 30 000 persons except a prisoner “CYPARIS”. Your travel will continue through the rain forest to Balata Church, an exact replica of the Basilica of MONTMARTRE in Paris, but with a spectacular view of Fort de France and the bay.
What you need to know
- Space is limited, so please book early.
- The order of the visits may be reversed.?