ATHENIAN RIVIERA AND CAPE SOUNION
Following the shore to the south of Athens through a mountainous coastal landscape of rare beauty, our tour takes us to Cape Sounion where the majesty of the Temple of Poseidon and heart-melting views of the Mediterranean cast their millennia-old spell.
What we will see
- Panoramic tour of the Athenian Riviera
- Vouliagmeni and Varkiza
- Cape Sounion and the Temple of Poseidon
What we will do
- Our coach tour of the Athenian Riviera winds its way along the mountainous coastline, regaling us with stirring views of jagged inlets, bays and beaches set, one after the other, against the backdrop of azure water.
- Our route leads us close by some of the structures erected for the 2004 Olympics, then on through the cosmopolitan coastal suburb of Vouliagmeni, with its charming bays and beaches, and the resort of Varkiza, a favourite destination for both professional and amateur athletes, who come here to train and enjoy a variety of aquatic sports.
- Finally, we come to the evocative, southernmost tip of the Attica peninsula, Cape Sounion, which offers breathtaking views of the sea and majestic ruins from the Golden Age of Athens.
- Here, we take the time to admire the magnificent Temple of Poseidon, which sits perched on the rocks 60 m above the sea.
- Built in the 5th century BC on the orders of Pericles, the temple is dedicated to the Greek god of the sea. Indeed, many of the cruise ships that pass Cape Sounion today still pay homage to Poseidon by lowering their flags or sounding their horns.
- The temple commands stunning views of the Saronic Gulf and the Cyclades: a feast for both the eyes and the soul!
What you need to know
The panoramic coach transfer to Cape Sounion takes approximately 75 minutes.