ORGANIC CHOCOLATE PRODUCTION: VOLUNTEERING IN A LOCAL BUSINESS
Local Sightseeing, Nature excursion, Lunch not included
Let us become workers in an organic chocolate factory for a day in the lush Dominican interior to support the local female community that has founded this small business.
What we will see
- Sightseeing tour of the hinterland
- Village of Altamira
- Chocal organic chocolate factory
- Work experience
- Purchasing products
What we will do
- We get on our coach and embark on a sightseeing tour of the Dominican interior, an enchanting succession of unspoilt hills and plains.
- We then reach the village of Altamira nestled among the mountains of the rugged northern Cordillera on the opposite side of Puerto Plata.
- Here, a group of resourceful women has established a business producing organic chocolate named Chocal, which has enabled them to support their families without having to move away from their region.
- Once there, we become part of this small community for a day as we work alongside these women and find out all there is to know about their job and learn the secrets of chocolate production.
- We take part in all activities: we visit the plantation where we help prepare the soil and plant cocoa seeds and work in the factory as we take part in processing and packaging activities.
- After this extraordinary cultural experience, we can purchase some chocolate as a memento to share with our family and friends.
What you need to know
- We recommend wearing comfortable clothing and closed shoes.
- A hairnet will be provided and must be worn.
- Do not forget to bring sunglasses, an umbrella and sun cream.
- This excursion will be conducted in English or Spanish.