RECYCLING PAPER: VOLUNTEERING IN A LOCAL BUSINESS
Sightseeing, Local Sightseeing, Nature excursion
Let us spend an unusual day where tourism turns into volunteering: work alongside a group of women who established a small paper recycling business that supports the local community.
What we will see
- Village of El Javillar
- RePapel cooperative
- Working for the cooperative
- Cultural enrichment
- Purchasing products
What we will do
- We get on a coach for a small transfer to the village of El Javillar, a small settlement along the bank of Río San Marcos.
- A group of resourceful women has established a small business - the RePapel cooperative - that recycles paper turning it into handicrafts including stationery, cards and even jewellery.
- We become part of this small community for a day as we work alongside these women and find out all there is to know about their job and learn how to transform paper.
- We have the chance to get to know the local community and the stories of many women who, thanks to this job, have found a way to support their families while working nearby instead of having to move to larger centres.
- After this extraordinary cultural experience, we can purchase a few recycled paper objects as a memento of a truly unique day.
What you need to know
- We recommend wearing comfortable clothing and closed shoes.
- This excursion will be conducted in English or Spanish.