THE THOUSAND SHADES OF HAKODATE
Sightseeing, Cultural, Meal included
The intriguing sides of the southernmost city on the island of Hokkaido in a fascinating tour to discover its history and traditions: a typical fish market where we enjoy a delicious lunch, historical red-brick warehouses in the port brought back to life, a peaceful Catholic monastery, a natural feast in a lovely park and a sensational cablecar ride offering breathtaking views.
What we will see
- Hakodate Asaichi morning fish market
- Lunch with fish specialities (1500 Yen voucher)
- The historic Kanemori warehouse
- Trappist convent
- Goryokaku fort, impressive star-shaped building
- Stroll in the amazing park of the fort
- Ride on the scenic Hakodate-yama ropeway
What we will do
- We start our excursion at the Hakodate Asaichi market selling fresh high-quality local fish between dawn and noon.
- We wander among the stalls and admire the crabs and jellyfish in the huge tanks. We also grab the opportunity to enjoy a fish lunch by spending the 1500 yen voucher at our disposal.
- After our feast, we continue our tour of the Kanemori warehouses, imposing red brick buildings in the port area, a testimony to the historic role of Hakodate in international trade. They were perfectly restored and are now home to a shopping mall by the sea, restaurants and souvenir shops.
- We then move on to Hakodate’s Trappist convent. We admire its buildings, also made of red brick surrounded by a peaceful well-tended garden where guests can breath in spiritual peace.
- Our next stop is Goryokaku fort, a star-shaped defensive building built almost 150 years ago to protect the city. It has since been turned into a magnificent park famous for its 1,600 cherry trees.
- We walk among the lush vegetation generating magnificent landscapes in all seasons: a profusion of light pink in spring with cherry trees blossoming, emerald green in summer, deep red in autumn and the white of the snow in winter.
- The last stop on our tour is the Hakodate-yama ropeway which takes us to the top of Mount Hakodate in only 3 minutes, from where we can see the city and the sea lying below us.
What you need to know
- There is limited availability of guides that speak English and other European languages.
- A 1500 yen voucher is supplied for lunch at the Hakodate Asaichi market.