TATEYAMA KUROBE ALPINE ROUTE
Sightseeing, Nature excursion, Meal included
A spectacular sightseeing tour in the heart of the Japanese Alps among endless views of rare beauty with the opportunity of crossing the enchanting “snow corridor”, if possible.
What we will see
- Tateyama mountain range
- Tateyama Kurobe alpine route
- Snow corridor (April-June)
- Murodo-daira plateau
What we will do
- Comfortably seated on our coach, we leave Kanazawa behind us and head east towards the northern Alps and the Tateyama mountain range, among the few snowy peaks in Japan and home to the southernmost glaciers in Asia.
- In this remote region, we find the spectacular Tateyama Kurobe Alpine Route which, every year, attracts thousands wishing to admire the sensational views which are forever changing but equally beautiful throughout the seasons.
- Between April and June, we will get the chance to cross the famous “snow corridor”, a stretch of road one km long flanked by towering snow walls that can reach up to 15 metres high.
- We climb to the top of the Murodo-daira plateau which, at 2,500 metres asl, is the highest section of the Alpine Route.
- From here, we can admire endless views that embrace the peaks of the surrounding mountains up to 3,000 metres asl and, with a bit of luck, we might spot a few examples of raicho, a white ptarmigan that has inhabited this region ever since the Glacial period.
What you need to know
- Itinerary sequence may vary.
- The length of the coach transfer depends on the itinerary.
- We recommend that you book early because only a limited number of places are available.
- Traffic jams are to be expected during tourist season.
- Money cannot be exchanged in the port, we recommend buying Japanese currency beforehand.
- Visibility during the tour is subject to weather conditions.
- We recommend wearing comfortable shoes with a low heel and warm clothing.
- The snow corridor is only open between mid April and mid June.
- The tour is coach only, no cable car rides.
- This excursion does not include a visit of the Kurobe area.