EXPLORING LA CORUÑA AND ITS FLAVOURS
A walking tour of La Coruña to discover its modernist architecture and evocative views of the sea and to also discover Galician culture through local delicacies.
What we will see
- La Coruña city centre
- Maria Pita square
- Calle Real
- Chocolate and churros tasting session
- Pescadería district
- Pontevedra square and market
- Tasting session of wine and local products
What we will do
- We start our walking tour from Maria Pita square, the location of the Town Hall and one of the unmissable sights of the city. The square is named after the 16th-century heroine who led the successful defence against an attempt to invade the city by the British Counter Armada commanded by Sir Francis Drake.
- We walk along the pedestrian Calle Real, flanked by buildings with huge glass façades which have earned La Coruña the nickname "City of Crystal".
- We take advantage of the numerous cafés for a delicious break for chocolate and churros, a snack typical of Iberian cuisine.
- We continue our walk through the Pescadería district, located on an isthmus between the beach and the harbour and home to the most beautiful streets of the city flanked by historic buildings as far as the public gardens with their lush greenery.
- We then head towards Pontevedra square, where we can better understand the layout of the city, which was developed mainly on the more sheltered side and not on the beach side, swept by strong winds and waves.
- Our next stop is the municipal market, the only remaining traditional market famous for its fish. A great quantity of other products such as Galician specialities and meat can also be found there.
- Our walk ends with a tasting session of wine and local products not far from the market before heading back to the ship.