THE MAYAN CIVILISATION BETWEEN PAST AND PRESENT
The Mayans are not a long-gone ancient civilisation as people often think. This excursion takes us to discover the cultural roots of the Mayans with a trip back in time thanks to a magnificent archaeological site. We also witness the modern everyday life of this people by visiting a village where Mayans live to this day. Last but not least, a delicious lunch on the beach.
What we will see
- Pink flamingo lagoons
- Xcambo archaeological site
- Mayan village of Dzemul
- Buffet lunch and relax on the beach
- Optional stop at the Progreso market
What we will do
- We leave the port by coach for a 45-minute transfer to a magnificent place boasting two natural lagoons that are the perfect habitat for hundreds of pink flamingoes. We admire these graceful birds with their long legs imparting a purplish colour to the lagoon that, combined with the blue of the sky, creates a spectacle of rare beauty.
- We continue our tour to discover more about the Mayan civilisation with a visit to the Xcambo archaeological site, an important city founded over 2000 years ago, which thrived thanks to its salt trade. While we stroll among the ruins with two tall pyramid temples that offer amazing views of the coast from the top, we try to imagine how the Mayans lived their everyday lives hundreds and hundreds of years ago.
- Our next stop is the town of Dzemul, a modern Mayan village, where traditional dried palm-leaf roofed palapas stand next to Spanish-style buildings.
- We follow our guide and explore the village on foot as far as the main square where we stop to admire the picturesque surroundings and observe modern descendants of the Mayans leading their everyday lives.
- We continue and, in just 20 minutes, reach a fantastic beach where we have a whole hour to relax in the sun and enjoy a delicious Mexican buffet lunch served with refreshing drinks.
- On our way back, those who wish to do so can stop at the Progreso market to indulge in some shopping and buy some lovely Mexican handicrafts.
What you need to know
- The excursion includes walking on uneven ground when visiting the ruins and the village of Dzemul.
- Participants are advised to wear comfortable shoes and a bathing suit and to bring insect repellent.